Sports Fundraising Ideas: Creative Ways to Raise Money for Your Local Team
Five Fundraising Ideas for Sports Teams
1. Coach Challenge
- Dye their hair green
- Drink a jar of pickle juice
- Stand at a crosswalk and bark for two minutes
- Dance the Macarena while dressed in a dinosaur costume
- Be duct taped to a wall
This is probably one of the most popular sports fundraising ideas among people who need help with chores. A Rent-an-Athlete fundraiser involves holding an auction wherein community members can bid on the athletes. The auctioned-off athletes will help the winning bidders with everyday tasks. All the auction proceeds go toward your team, and as a bonus, the athletes learn the value of working toward a common goal.
- Asking supporters to pledge a specific dollar amount for each unit of distance covered.
- Selling merchandise, such as t-shirts and dog collars, and concessions.
- Partnering with local businesses and promoting them at the event in exchange for participating in a matching gift program.
4. Donate or Dare
- Write down funny and embarrassing “dares” on cards.
- Have each participant pick a card.
- The participant has two choices: do the dare, or donate a specific amount to your team.
5. Hold a Shoe Drive
Throwing a simple party is one of the best shoe fundraising ideas you could explore. You don’t have to go over and above and offer a five-course meal, but be sure to set expectations. For example, you could host an outdoor movie night where you only need to serve beverages and popcorn, and each person needs to donate a pair of shoes as a “door charge.”
Putting the “Fun” Back in Fundraiser: Choosing the Right Type of Event
- Pick something exciting but familiar. Try to choose an event that no other organization in your area is doing. The novelty of a unique fundraiser may be enough to get a few more people to attend and donate.
- Identify your target audience. Who is likely to show up? Determine their motivations. Does your target audience enjoy going to fundraisers because of the social aspect? Are they driven by a desire to help the community?
Turn Unwanted Shoes Into Cash Through The Fundraising Company
Shoe drives through The Fundraising Company are completely free to host, require nothing to buy or sell and are a great way to support your sports team while helping the environment and micro-entrepreneurs in developing countries. To get started, call us at (213)-458-9896. You may also fill out our online form, and a member of our team will reach out to you as soon as possible.